One of the areas of the body that seeks to develop, strengthen and tone are the arms. And although in many cases gain strength in them is achieved simply by working other areas such as the abdomen or exercising globally, there are specific exercises to show strong and fire arms.
In many occasions it is thought that an arm gains more strength if the biceps is exercised, a muscle that appears in the anterior area of the upper arm. But in reality, what gives firmness and shape to the arm is the triceps, a muscle that is located in the back of the upper arm. There are several exercises that allow to isolate this muscle to increase its development, and one of them are the push-ups.
Classic triceps pushups
This exercise is the most used to isolate and exercise the triceps. It is very simple and can be done both in the gym and at home. You just need a mat to lean on the floor and you do not need any weight, since you will use your own body. These are the steps to correctly do the classic triceps push-ups:
- The initial position consists of placing face down on the mat, as if you were going to perform the traditional push-ups, but instead of supporting the feet, you will support the knees and the palms of your hands.
- In this way, instead of dividing the weight and effort between the chest, the arms and the abdomen, it focuses even more on the triceps.
- The hands are placed more or less at the height of the chest separating them according to the width of the shoulders and, instead of placing the fingers facing forward as in a normal flexion, they are placed turned inwards, so that the fingers of both Hands are facing each other, not in a straight line at all, but rather forming a triangle with them.
- Once this position has been achieved, the movement will be carried as close as possible to the chest to the ground, bending the elbows but not separating from the body, to ensure that the triceps is being worked.
- Then the body is lifted again, returning to the initial position.
It is recommended to perform this exercise in 4 sets of 12 repetitions.
Bench triceps pushups
A different but also very effective way of doing triceps push-ups is with the help of a bank. It is another variant that can be alternated with the classic triceps push-ups previously explained. Follow the steps indicated below to do triceps push-ups with bank correctly:
- First of all, a bench or a similar surface is necessary that is well secured so that it does not come to an end when the body is supported by force.
- The starting position consists of sitting on the floor, with your legs fully extended, with your back to the bench and with your hands resting on it so that your back rubs against the bench.
- When the starting position has been achieved, the exercise consisting of lifting the weight of the body with the palms of the hands resting on the bench, without bending the knees, will be started so that when the body rises, only the floor remains in contact with the floor. The feet.
- You return to the starting position to repeat the exercise.
It is advisable to perform 4 sets of 10 repetitions of this exercise.
Isometric triceps curls
This exercise to strengthen and tone triceps is for a more advanced level, since it requires an extra strength and preparation to be able to do it. It is advisable to resort to this exercise when the previous two are done with ease. These are the steps to do isometric triceps push-ups:
- The initial position and the movement to be performed is exactly the same as in the classic triceps push-ups, with the knees supported and the fingers of the hands facing each other, with the arms at chest height according to the width of the shoulders.
- The same movement is made to bring the chest to the ground but, instead of going up immediately, isometric work will be done, that is, it will stand about 10 seconds down before going up.
- Then you return to the starting position to redo it.
It is recommended to perform this exercise in 4 sets of 6 repetitions. When over time you gain more strength and resistance in the arms, you can go on to perform these same push-ups without actually supporting the knees.
If you want to read more articles similar to how to do triceps push-ups – steps and tips, we recommend you to enter our Sports category.
Article Source: Tape Daily